Sunday, February 24, 2013

Veganism and doctors

I know it's been awhile since I posted, I just have so many things going on!

First, I have a new program starting in March - The FOCAS Challenge. It's designed to help give you the tools to live a healthier, happier, and stress-free life in 21 days. You can find more info on my website and even listen to a preview. I'm offering it in-person in Wyandotte and also online.

Second, I have teamed up with a friend to offer business consulting services to independent and small health-related businesses. See how we can give businesses a Healthy Upstart!

And third, I started a new blog on living with a chronic illness - Life as s Sick Person.

Speaking of illness, I have been making the rounds to new doctors and alternative health practitioners again and it really drives home the fact that not all of them will relate to veganism or even more natural ways of eating if it's outside of their norm. As a a vegan or raw foodist, it's particularly important to work with a doctor that is not only willing to work with you but understands your lifestyle.

Now maybe it's because I don't see too many Western doctors anymore, but I'm finding the most push back from holistic doctors and it really disturbs me. For instance, I went to see one naturopath who told me that she encourages vegans to start eating dairy and eggs again. I told her that wasn't an option for me, and furthermore, I am allergic to dairy, so it certainly wouldn't help. She informed me very confidently that it was the source of my dairy that I was allergic to and not the dairy myself. And if I got better quality dairy, directly from a natural farm (of which she could recommend a really good local one), I wouldn't have that issue. Really? I think my immune system would beg to differ. And I really wonder if she gets kick backs from that farm.

Nevertheless, it's important to keep trying until you find a doctor that is willing to work with you and respects your beliefs. Now I make that one of the first questions I ask before even booking an appointment so I do not waste my time or money.

There is a good blog post that I read about veganism, health, and doctors which also gives another perspective on this issue.

Wishing you peas and good health,

VeggiePatti
www.veggiepatti.com





No comments:

Post a Comment