Saturday, September 24, 2011

Supporting Veg-Friendly Businesses

It was with sadness that I saw a letter earlier this week that the Detroit Zen Center's cafe is closing (hopefully temporarily) at the end of this month. They expanded their hours due to customers' requests, but then didn't have the attendance necessary to support themselves financially. Sadly, this story isn't unique. Earthen Jar is currently facing a similar situation due to construction of a new parking lot being built right next to their restaurant. Om Cafe has opened and closed several times. And I've even seen my favorite vegan foods disappear at Whole Foods because there wasn't enough demand. :(

I want to encourage the veg community to continue to support veg-friendly businesses even during these tough economic times. I know I have been guilty myself of not supporting restaurants and grocers as much as I'd like until I hear that something is amiss, and by then it's sometimes too late. So here is my plan of action I encourage everyone to adopt to help keep the veg-friendly businesses alive!

  1. Try to eat at a veg-friendly restaurant at least once every other week.
  2. At least once a month, make sure you bring a new veg customer or a non-veg friend to a veg-friendly restaurant.
  3. When you've had a good experience, post it online! It only takes you a minute and it's good marketing for them.
  4. When you've had a bad experience, let the business know first and give them a chance to correct the issue. Every business has little blips.
  5. Make suggestions to let businesses know what new products/menu items they should consider - keeping things fresh keeps customers coming back for more! (But let them know what staples you couldn't live without, either!)

If you have any other tips you'd like to share on how to support veg-friendly businesses, please share them by posting!

Wishing you peas and good health,
VeggiePatti

No comments:

Post a Comment